Monday, February 19, 2018

a little stitching interlude

A break from the travel record for some stitching and local photographs.

I've made a few more journal covers recently, prior to teaching how to make them at Fleurieu Quilters. I enjoy creating them from left over bits of favourite fabrics, technique and class samples or by recycling/repurposing other items.



I recently finished off a sample needle-turn applique block started many (15?) years ago. I am not planning to do more of the same, so I it might find its way into a journal cover some time...


Back in November I made a wallhanging to incorporate some Tambani African embroidery pieces I bought in France in 2016, at the European Patchwork Festival. (Hence the name I gave it - 'The long way from South Africa') From a community project to help the women of a very poor area of northern South Africa, each piece of embroidery tells a Venda folk tale. I wish I had bought more...


The background fabric is from Ghana and the hanger is bamboo.

I recently visited the China and the World Exhibition at the SA Art Gallery. www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/agsa/home/Exhibitions   I enjoyed the exhibition which includes some brilliant embroidery pieces, but I think I was most taken by this account of how the gold thread is made -

 But the thread is so fine! Fascinating and amazing.

Now a little bit of nature that has caught my eye.
A large stick insect


Busy bees in some thistles


After I turned the sprinkler off

Young seagulls at the beach

 

Finally, some beautiful lisianthus blooms on my kitchen bench. Lisianthus is one of the flowers we were growing when it was just new to the cut flower market - that all seems so long ago now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment