Tuesday, May 15, 2018

back in 5 - or more

Under the guidance of friend Cher McGrath who is an expert paper maker, I and some of my Quilters' Dozen friends had fun recently making a few small sheets of paper. The results were very pleasing - much better than when I attempted it with daughter Rachel many years ago.

 

The white is the recent lot hung on my clothes airer to dry. The pink (cardboard thickness but soft and unfoldable and consequently still unused) was what we made years ago - at least I know now where we went wrong. Now we are each tearing up a bucket of natural fibres to return another day and try to make some paper from that.  By way of comparison, I though I'd show how it is done on a bit bigger scale. This is what I saw in Gujurat a few years back, where they were working with calico off cuts, and their sheet size and drying lines were a somewhat bigger!


 


While I had some spare time in the city recently, I thought I would check out a shop called Sahara which I had been meaning to do for some time. It sells Moroccan and Middle Eastern goods, and had lovely colourful mosaics on the outside.
 
 
 

Just my luck though, it had a 'Back in 5 minutes' sign on the door. Since it is in a quarter of the city which I know very little about, I thought I would take a walk while waiting.

On the lawns of the nearby square where these ibis
 
 and then in the side streets I found the historic Adelaide Mosque
 


There were once many Afghan shops and properties in the area, and the camel trains provided a very important means os transportation up through the centre of the country. A modern day result of this  is a problem with feral camels in the inland - they are now even exported to the Middle East.
After walking for half an hour the shop still wasn't open so I went on my way. A little later in another park I took these photos. The plane trees, like those near my home, were clearly stressed from lack of rain, and the leaves were just dying rather than turning autumn colours, but they were still quite beautiful against the clear blue sky.



Later I turned around to see this perfect contrail


When I visited the beachside suburb of Brighton another morning (for a fine brunch) these red, knitted poppy words fom the  Anzac Day Rememberance service a few days before, were brilliant against the blue of the sky and ocean.
 
Similarly these red Gawler Hybrid bottle brushes(Callistemon) at Port Noarlunga were striking as the sun shone through them against the clear sky.
As well as looking good they obviously were a great source of nectar, as several New Holland honeyeaters were busy feeding on them. This one was quit happily feeding upside down...


When we finally got some good falls of rain I came out to see these lovely, large water drops on every junction of one of my the 'blackbird proofing' covers in the garden.

Not so lovely the day I found 6 of my cabbages had been eaten by something.!! From this

to this
Just 2 remain, and I had to go out and buy poles and netting to safeguard them. I still don't know the culprit, but at least nothing has attacked the passionfruit vine - or should I be crossing my fingers?

No comments:

Post a Comment