Saturday, May 12, 2018

mostly bark and leaves


Finally we have had some reasonable rainfalls, though decent follow up rains are needed for the farmers. It has suddenly got much colder, but that has made staying indoors easier. I have finished the quilting on my large quilt and now have to bind it. I have also been creating recently...
I have redone the top of the bird feeder. I redid it a few years back using brush from a diosma bush but that got too straggly and had to be removed. This time I used eucalyptus bark collected from under a huge gum at the property of friends. I like the effect - just hope it is firm enough to last a while as I didn't get the wire very tight (wire and I don't get on very well!)
 Also did some painting and stencilling on fabric with Threads Group. I used mostly leaves, as stencils and stamps.
 ...then I made some postcards, using some of them and adding a little machine embroidery.

 
 
 
 I've also made a picture to preserve my latest echidna 'find'. I looked down at some debris in a parking lot and saw this echidna - actually some dead brush, maybe part of a banksia. There had been some heavy rain but there was very little vegetation around so I'm not sure what or where it came from. Of course I had to bring it home, but being quite fragile I thought that if I was going to keep it, I should do something with it. So, a fabric background with some fussy cut applique and dried eucalyptus (picked up ages ago when they were quite colourful)  and here is my picture. It's already on the wall.

Now out and about.
This is an interesting art piece/sculpture in the grounds of the Fullarton Community Centre where I went for a meeting recently. It is 'Vine Lady' cleverly created by Slvia Piddington.
 In my garden ... I have a coulpe of sweet potato vines, very healthy looking, but they have been there a good while and I was wondering whether I should be harvesting them. I looked among the leaves and saw this, the top of a sizeable tuber.
 I dug it out, and to my surprise, this is how big it is, here alongside one of my passionfruit.
I haven't dug to see if there are more, I'll enjoy the green for just a little bit longer. I have read that they need to come out before any frosts, but they are pretty unikely here although it is certainly getting colder.
A splash of colour on the nandina
 and interesting shapes and shades of green in the shadehouse


 I have just found some pictures that I intended to post last week. I will put them in a separate post.


No comments:

Post a Comment