Tuesday, June 12, 2012

my longer weekend

What a great long weekend. It has been cold, but the days have been bright and sunny. Western Australia wasn't so lucky though, with huge winds and storms which we are expecting tomorrow.

There is not much happening in the garden at the moment apart from the very hardy perennials - nasturtiums and alyssum 
 
- and the intruders. I spotted this young hairy caterpillar on the miniature pomegranite - not my favourite insects! Not a favourite of our chooks either. They turned away from the ones I offered them last year - very discerning.
  I have just been reading Michele Hill's latest post from yesterday   williammorrisandmichele.blogspot.com/, and what she forgot to mention was that before going to Sydney later in the week, she had an author talk in Yankalilla today. It was put on by the local 'Books and Words' and 'Threads' groups. Michele gave a most informative presentation explaining her journey since she first saw his works at the V&A, with a look at William Morris and his life and designs, and the wonderful collection of the Art Gallery of South Australia. I had a day off work, and enjoyed it very much along with about 90 others. The talk was followed by sandwiches and coffee - well done to the organisers. Here is Michele chatting with Shirl and a friend in front of one of her amazing quilts.
I came home and started quilting a Japanese style quilt  put together by the Quilter's Dozen group. It includes some sashiko blocks, but I have started with the easy bits - in the ditch in the lattice. Hopefully I'll figure out what to do after that. I thought it was time I tried the timer setting on the camera...








No comments:

Post a Comment