Tuesday, June 26, 2012

a visit to The Cedars

I really enjoyed the day of my last post, which I took off from work to go to Yankalilla and join friends listening to Michele Hill talking about William Morris. I really was the the lucky one that day because I returned to work the next morning to help in the clean up after an out of control car had crashed through the windows into the library. Very luckily no-one was hurt, but books and glass chips don't go well together!
 
I have finished quilting the quilt. I decided on outlining, rather than scribbling in the border fabric so of course it took twice as long as I would have liked.
I squeezed in this month's 'simplicity' postcard, and am now considering finishing the 4 or 5 year old Quilt Encounter workshop piece before I head off to 3 days at QE for 2012 at the end of next week. Maybe I will and maybe I won't!

I often think that we go elsewhere to tour and sightsee but forget to look about our own backyard, so it was good to cross off something on the 'to do' list when we visited The Cedars, the family home and of Hans Heysen at Hahndorf on Sunday. The rain held off so that was even better. You see works of both Hans and Nora, Nora's studio and can tour the house (below - well worth it) and Heysen's studio (below right). 
 
We left the signposted walk for another day, but saw a few of the sculptures remaining from The Heysen Sculpture Biennial which had just finished. I noticed this one when we first looked up toward the studio, and thought it looked like a pile of branches. Saw it from a different angle as we were leaving and realised what it was - very clever. Didn't get the name of the artist. 

 I liked this young lady in her beautiful mosaic skirt outside Nora's studio. She is 'Roberta' by Liz Williams
 You can read more about it at http://www.hansheysen.com.au/














No comments:

Post a Comment