Sunday, June 3, 2012

Whales, sales and emails

It has been exciting these last few days...
Firstly, I received a request to include some photos from an earlier post in a uni honors thesis. A bit of a thrill in that, and I am only too happy to say yes.
Yesterday was the opening of Unravelled (2012) in the Gallery at Red Poles.  www.redpoles.com.au/
The theme was 'the textile landscape', and there are some great works on display, from 13 artists in all. I received some very positive and pleasing comments about my 6 little 'carpets', and 2 of them sold.



Here is my 'Old Tea Tree' tea cosy, also in the exhibition. It only took about 3 times as long to do as I expected it too, but I was happy with the result.


After the opening and a cup of coffee with family and friends I looked up as we were leaving. The sun was setting, and the clouds were spectacular, all pink and gold, but by the time I took this photo over the gallery, the colours were beginning to fade.


This morning on the radio I heard talk about the whale season beginning at Victor Harbor. A caller rang in to say that he was at Moana, and 2 whales had just been spotted heading up the gulf not too far from the beach. I reluctantly (not!) stopped cleaning grout in the bathroom, grabbed the binoculars and headed out onto our driveway. Looking down our street to the sea (1km+ away) I saw a patch of water that looked disturbed, and then there were black humps flipping and then a tale flashing. A great way to start the day!

I didn't manage a photo of whales, but I got these two 'cousins' when I went for a walk this afternoon. As a rule one can't get close enough to photograph them before they fly off. My new camera has more zoom so I thought I would give it a test.
 
 Peewit (commonly called Murray Magpie) above, and Magpie below


















No comments:

Post a Comment