Saturday, August 24, 2013

getting out and about in the un-fair weather

We have had a good share of winter weather over the last few weeks, with rain and unpleasant gale force winds keeping the emergency services busy. The weather certainly affected the turn out at the annual Antiques and Collectables Fair at Strathalbyn last weekend. It is always worth a visit, but compared to other years the numbers were very few, and surely a disappointment for the traders and stall holders. I did manage to find a few jugs to add to the collection though!
This is the scene at the Trash and Treasure morning -

 Usually this track is lined with stalls and the walkway is crowded. The blue sky came and went in a matter of minutes, and

the best thing was the fabulous rainbow between the rain showers.

The halls were a bit easier to get around without as many people as usual. I loved all the miniature sewing machines on your Treadles and Treasures stand Lynne. It is probably a good thing I have no room to start a new collection.   (See some on  http://treadlestreasures.blogspot.com.au/ )

There are lots of exhibitions to see at the moment with SALA on this month (South Australian Living Artists). I have seen a few - at Willunga and Port Adelaide, and really enjoyed Essence put on by the Fibre Art group at Peppper Street Gallery. Some clever pieces there - well done girls.

Over the last couple of days I have been 'home touring' with Rachel who has been home for a few days, and wanting to re visit places in our local area that she hasn't seen for a while. It has been cold, misty, windy and rainy but still interesting. This is Cape Jervis - the light house and the ferry terminal. We realised it is about 26 years since we crossed to Kangaroo Island from here - it is clearly high time we went again!


At The Bluff, the large granite headland at Victor Harbor, we saw 2 black tailed gulls. The message seemed to be - "No, you won't see whales today, just me and my friend
 Which is my better side? Right?



Or left?"

I have not seen these gulls so close before, to get such a good look at their large and colourful  beaks.
This is Petrel Cove behind The Bluff showing quite a swell.
 
Today we visited the fabulous exhibition of the SA Museum Natural History Waterhouse Art Prize finalists. It is hard to pick a favourite though I have to admit to being taken by the winner - Flight of fancy by Judith Brown. I saw the potential for something like that when I collected the gladioli bulb skeleton I have had on my shelf for about 8 years now!!!
The exhibition is on for a few more days but if you can't get along check it out at http://www.waterhouse.samuseum.sa.gov.au/artworks.html

At the moment I should be stitching a postcard (due Monday) where we transfer a picture onto packaging tape, but I have just found that I don't have the right tape. The dispenser has silver duct tape on it, not clear. Looks like it is off to the shop tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment