Wednesday, July 31, 2013

finding colour and removing it

I've just recently (can't believe it is 2 weeks ago) had a great 2 days at Quilt Encounter. The  committe putting on their first camp, are to be congratulated for a job well done. I did a class on  altering fabric with Jacqui Karl from NZ. This is made with just 2 fabrics, the black and the red/green batik. It was very interesting seeing how the different black fabrics in the class responded to the different bleaching processes, showing up the different types of fabric which get overdyed black. I had to repeat the processes on a second piece of fabric because the initial effect was barely noticeable.
Woops I forgot to crop it.Sorry about the stripes behind it. I might swap it later. What was especially good about the class was finishing the piece while there. The difficulty for QE next year will be remembering where it is for show and tell, rather than having to finish it off.


In the garden I have only a couple of pansies flowering to brighten the winter scene...



but the afternoon sun through the new rose leaves the other day was spectacular.


I am never too sure what I am doing when I prune my roses. I did it last month although many are saying it should have been this month. They have amazing new growth on them though, and I hadn't really noticed the way the new shoots come before - quite tightly folded and very visibly serrated.

Underneath the roses the emerging lachenalia flowers look like something from out of space.



I have just done another postcard, but haven't photographed it yet. That will be next time. I've not done much stitching over the last 10 days, as last week we introduced self checkout (using radio frequency identification, so everything needs tagging) in the library - a very busy, and tiring time. It has all gone well. Our wonderful customers are all worried about us losing our jobs, but it means we have a little more time to help the customers and to cope with the increasing stock movement due to the still growing statewide one card system.

No comments:

Post a Comment